March 14, 2009

Places I have been

I will try to describe places that I have lived or visited that have left a lasting impression on me. I prefer cities that are close to large water bodies: either beside a river or bay. I prefer a modern city with a rich tradition of art and culture. For vacation, I prefer places where time has come to a halt or places that are steeped deep in history or are situated in a wonderful natural setting.

Calcutta: The city of joy , the city of Sanjoy. Yes, Calcutta, now Kolkata, is my birthplace, city of my childhood, young adulthood, the city where I spent my growing up days. I love the vibration of the city, the passion of the people for politics and poetry. The city is steeped in rich culture. There are theatres, art galleries, museums, literary societies, debate halls, coffee house. There are problems but there is a certain element of dynamism that inspires me.
Kharagpur: I wouldn't be where I am today had I not gone to Kharagpur or KGP as we used to lovingly call it, the home of the Indian Institute of Technology. A small town compared to Calcutta, it claims its position on the world map due to two facts: it has the longest railway station in the world and the institute.
Pondicherry: this is small sea town in the south of India. I went there 25 years back but I can still smell the burning incense sticks in the prayer hall of Sri Aurobindo’s sanctuary. The silence of the place is deeply invigorating.
Shillong: this is a small hill station; capital of a northeastern hilly state in India called the Meghalaya (translated into English means Abode of the Cloud). Needless to say this is the place with the highest annual rainfall recorded in the world. With manicured golf course, small streams and waterfalls, flowers, orchids, lakes, the place is just like a picture.
Darjeeling: (of world famous Darjeeling tea fame) is another hill station as well as a district in the state of West Bengal, India. This is known as the Queen of the Himalayas. Extremely beautiful. I have memories of seeing wild mushrooms growing on the mountainside or waking up early in the morning to go see sunrise brighten up the Himalayas or suddenly experience cloud beneath me over the valley. The hike to the mall, the city centre was interesting. Life was easy, very easy. I am willing to give up a lot to simplify my life once again.

Now coming outside of India, there are 5 cities, not in any specific order that I have enjoyed visiting:
Paris: where tradition and modernism, culture and engineering (Eiffel Tower), art and science have all mingled. I just love this city, its museum and with the river flowing through it. A Chinese friends rightfully translated this from a Chinese poem, "Silently, the Seine runs across Paris, as if a delicate jade hairpin worn by a beautiful woman." Yes, the river is an integral part of the city.
New York: what can I say? The only other city outside Calcutta where I feel at home.
San Francisco: This a city with a different charm. With the Golden Gate Bridge giving the city its distinctive landmark, I love the fisherman's wharf, the tram ride (by the way, Calcutta still has a functional tram network), the art districts, access to the wineries up in the Sonoma county, and excellent food. There is something special about this city.
Montreal: I have never seen a city so clean and never felt so safe. Modern day architecture fits in well with the smooth functioning of the city. They have a parallel city underground to deal with the harsh winter climate.
London: again, I like the architectures, museums, parks. Lots of things to do/see. And then there are the fish and chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment