March 22, 2009

Abol-Tabol (Weird and Random) Thoughts from a Pink Floyd fan

Alone on a mountain -
Vision obscured by clouds
I face the delicate sound of thunder.
Or is it the division bell that I hear?

Searching for a saucerful of secrets
in the land of relics,
I hit the wall guarded by
the piper at the gates of dawn.
"Ummagumma" is the codeword to
the house of the atom-heart mother,

into the dark side of the moon.

Down in the valley -
We are all animals
waiting for the final cut.

But up here at Zabriskie Point -
a momentary lapse of reason
can't meddle the lunatic in my head.
Not on any interstellar overdrive,
'm just marooned but comfortably numb.

Remembering all the early singles
My pulse beats for more.
First, it's psychedelic and space,
then the progressive rock works.
The Pink Floyd sound echoes
from Shine On to A Nice Pair.

As my trip gets into high gear
I wish you were here!!

© Sanjoy Haldar
Blogger's note:
I am a die-hard Pink Floyd fan - here is an attempt to capture the essence of a "trip" by using the band's album titles. Can you identify them? Marooned gave the band its only Grammy.

I titled it Abol-Tabol, Bengali for weird and random, after a famous "nonsense" rhyme book in Bengali by Sukumar Ray, father of the famous Indian film maker Satyajit Ray.

2 comments:

  1. Bah mama! tumi je eto shundor kobita lekho jantam na to!! Darunnn! :)

    ReplyDelete